Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Closings

We've been home now for three days. In that time, we've relaxed, enjoyed our photos, thought about fixing up the boat, and tried to wrap our heads around finishing the trail. Mostly, we look at each other and know that we're thinking the same thing - wishing we were still paddling. Because, even on the NFCT's rainiest days, there were moments of sunshine...kindness from strangers, much needed tailwinds, wildlife sightings, mosquito free evenings, and so much more. We'll miss the trail, but are glad to have these wild, fun, tough, peaceful moments as storytelling material for years to come.

Disclaimer: You'll notice on our blog that we don't have many photographs from the "hard times" - Spencer Stream, rainy days, theft in NH, etc. During these moments we were far too preoccupied with our situation to pull out the camera. We don't want to romanticize the trail. It's not easy. It's hard. And thru paddling isn't for the faint of heart. That being said, we don't regret it and we highly recommend thru paddling to those with experience, commitment, and a stellar partner. Without each other, this experience would've been vastly different and, we think, much harder. If you're interested in thru paddling and want to hear our thoughts, feel free to contact us.

Many thanks to all the NFCT staff and volunteers for the signage, trails, and campsites you maintain. We enjoyed becoming part of the paddling community your organization fosters.

In case you haven't seen enough of our journey, check out the highlights video we created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0guG99NtHY



Happy paddling,

Brian and Allie

4 comments:

  1. Amazing story and great you-tube jack and jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ! I'm a good friend of Jack and Jean. Jack just told me about your trip and led me to your blog. I just read the whole thing ! It was a very enjoyable vicarious experience. We do a lot of canoeing in the northern Adirondacks so I was familiar with that part of your trip. Your story also reminded me of my long through trip - backpacking the Northville Placid Trail. It was 120 something miles and 13 days so I could relate to some of your great experiences as well as the frustrations. I didn't have a blog but I did write a journal which you might appreciate. Congratulations on completing the canoe trail ! Bob Brand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed your blog. My wife and I are doing sections of the NFCT now and hope to Thru-paddle soon.

    Mike & Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a great trip! I'm feeling really inspired by your blog. I don't know if I could do something as large as that, but I've been having fun getting more and more comfortable in a canoe. Maybe next year we'll try something bigger.

    Jenn | http://www.wetspot.net.au/canoes

    ReplyDelete